Saturday, July 20, 2013

Over the limit

OK today was the day Lynn said a month is too long...we have been at this trip for about 2 weeks now and have two weeks to go and she is kind of indicating that she thinks this might be enough..time to be done with the trip.  I have really tried hard to make this a happy time for Lynn but am somehow missing the boat.  I know, tomorrow morning when we crawl out of the van, if it isn't raining, I will cook pancakes on the old Coleman and she will love it and be right back into this sojourn to Alaska...hell, we still have a thousand miles to go.

Today was good and bad..started out good with a trip from Canada to the US and back to Canada.  We spent the night in Stewart B.C. and had a great meal of French Fries and Halibut, had breakfast at the toaster museum and then drove to Hyder, Alaska (a ghost town with residents) and then back to Stewart.

Hyder, AK





We saw a couple bears on the road today and then pulled off at a rest area with a gravel drive and there was a piece of a metal rod about 1 inch in diameter sticking out of the gravel and I didn't see it.  Went right through the tire which immediately went flat.  Oh Boy,we are having fun now!  Finally got the jack out from under all our stuff, and after about a half hour, figured out how to get the tire under the van to come down.  Then I had a hell of a time getting the jack under the frame, had to beat it under with the ax, glad I brought the ax.  So got ole Edna jacked up and changed the tire; now we have to buy a tire when we get the opportunity so we have a spare.












We are camped out at the town of Iskut...not a lot of night life in Iskut...not really much of anything here at all.  Lynn will be in a better place in the morning.

Lynn: The day started out pretty well; we were in Hyder at the National Park Fish Creek thing and when the ranger asked if we had a National Park pass, Randy brought out the one we got in Glacier  which gives him, as a senior, unlimited park passes.  A woman park ranger came by and said, "you can't be qualified for that, you don't look old enough!" When he said his age, she said, "Well, good for you; and I see you have a trophy wife."  Made my day.  But then, well, this tire thing today totally scared me.  I was all, "why don't we just call a wrecker?" isn't that what insurance is for?  Apparently, the nearest help to be found was 350 miles away.  That just gave me the chills.  I do NOT like being in the wilderness. I do not mind admitting that I am afraid of just about everything.  It was a real trial trying to get the tire changed, but Randy did it, thank heavens.  So it will be Whitehorse, in the Yukon, two days from now, before we can get a new tire.  Just hope the spare holds.  We drove as far as we could, which was to Iskut; which is nowhere.  We are at a campground that is like camping in a parking lot.  A parking lot with one bathroom that is like 3 football fields away.  It will be a long night, I fear.  Anyway, after the rain tomorrow morning, it should be clear and in the 80's where we are headed tomorrow. Can't post any photos tonight, because the internet won't allow it, but I'll add some tomorrow.
At the Mountain Shadow Campground in Iskut

3 comments:

  1. I'm dying...this is hilarious. So fun! Love the hookers in photo 2. Ah well...looks like you will be in Alaska soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds exactly what I want to do....Glad you guys are having a great time and I enjoy the posts and stories. I landed a new job. I have to drive a truck from Grayling to Alaska but not till next spring so hopefully I can get the same cool experience you two are getting....Grayling to Healy here I come.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like our RV trip to Yosemite when a rock punctured our tire on a mountain road... except that the RV had a few dozen wheels and we could roll on up to the gee-rage without resorting to axes.

    Dad - if Jeannie calls, just remember not to let Pat talk.

    ReplyDelete